Teaching vocabulary is a focus for many schools and is increasingly considered a key area in raising standards in English, reading and across the wider curriculum.
Limited word knowledge is a key factor in under-achievement of both English speaking learners as well as SEND and EAL learners. Without excellent word knowledge, learners are poorly equipped to engage with the demands of the curriculum and the texts they need to read and write.
This course examines the research and approaches to developing vocabulary, offering practical approaches to the teaching of vocabulary.
- How words are learnt
- Strategies to support teaching of vocabulary
- The importance of understanding Tier 2 and Tier 3 vocabulary to develop comprehension
- Types of words
- Multiple meanings
- Figurative language
- Links to spelling and meaning
- Vocabulary and EYFS/EAL/SEND learners
- The importance of a vocabulary progression framework
This course is aimed at:
- English/Reading leads
- Senior leaders
- Specialist schools
- Independent schools